Great River Regional Library
Thirty-two branch libraries. Nearly 1 million books, CDs and DVDs and 250 public computers. One really great system providing materials, computers, programming and information services to almost 450,000 residents. Welcome to your Great River Regional Library!
Our service to you starts with our great staff. Our staff is here to assist you, from advising you on what to read next to searching online databases. We invite you to get to know your library staff, and get to know our great service. You may also read the library's Annual Report for information about library activities over the last year.
Free Library Cards
People living in Benton, Morrison, Sherburne, Stearns, Todd and Wright counties are eligible for a free GRRL library card. Apply for your free library card by presenting at any branch library your completed library card application and identification with your current address information. Your GRRL card can be used in virtually any Minnesota public library. It’s the most important card you’ll ever get for free!
Our Collection is Your Collection
Apply for your free library card, and then use it to check out nearly 1 million items from any GRRL branch library. Our collection features books and more books -- nonfiction, reference, fiction, best sellers and popular reading, young adult, children's, and large print. You can also access our Digital Library, with books and audiobooks free of charge to download. We’ve enhanced the collection with magazines, newspapers, audio books, databases, music, movies and much more. Browse our online catalog to see everything available to you.
Much More Than Books
When you visit one of our 32 branch libraries, ask about our many other services: Ask a Librarian information assistance, public Internet computers, business services, online databases, wireless Internet service, book selection advice, the educator request form, tours, language learning software, genealogy resources, and library events. See the services catalog for more information.
The Neighborhood Gateway: Inspiring Central Minnesota to shape the future through exploration, knowledge and connection.
Explore. Learn. Connect.
Our Core Values
Great River Regional Library is a PATRON CENTERED organization, and we express this commitment through three Core Values:
- We are an empowered, knowledgeable staff.
- We speak and act with honesty and integrity.
- We operate with respect for all, and appreciate our opportunity to serve.
- We provide free and equal access to information.
- We challenge ourselves to always do better.
- We explore innovation and new ideas.
- We are responsive to a changing world, and will build on past success.
- We promote lifelong learning.
- We anticipate future service needs.
- We build trust with one another, and operate as a team.
- We communicate openly.
- We create partnerships throughout the communities that we serve, to promote our libraries and services.
- We are inclusive, and embrace diversity.
Great River's 2022-2025 Strategic Plan was approved by the Board of Trustees.
Our Service Priorities are Literacy, Access & Lifelong Learning.
- LITERACY - All users will have the resources they need to develop and improve their literacy skills in order to succeed in school, meet their personal goals and fulfill their responsibilities as students, parents, citizens and workers.
- ACCESS - All users will have access to reliable sources of information in welcoming virtual or physical spaces that support community connection and engagement.
- LIFELONG LEARNING - All users will have the resources they need to explore topics of personal interest, continue to learn and complement their quality of life.
Our Organizational Priorities are Exceptional Service, Operational Excellence and Community Focus.
- EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE - We will be an empowered, engaged, well-trained staff ready to provide exceptional service.
- OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE - We will use resources effectively in order to be adaptable to future needs.
- COMMUNITY FOCUS - We will enhance our service to current and future patrons by embracing the diversity of our communities.
On September 25, 1969, Great River Regional Library (GRRL) was formed, creating a regional public library system with Benton, Morrison, Stearns, and Wright counties. It has expanded to include library service in Sherburne and Todd counties. We now serve 115,000 registered borrowers in a 5,000 square mile area of Central Minnesota.
Our Board of Trustees
GRRL is a joint powers organization with six member counties of Benton, Morrison, Sherburne, Stearns, Todd and Wright. Each county provides representatives for the GRRL Board of Trustees, and the Board develops and administers one comprehensive budget (2016) for the system. Meeting minutes are also available.
GRRL depends on a funding partnership between government agencies and private donors to remain a recognized source of knowledge and information in serving Central Minnesota. Our six member counties provide the primary funding for GRRL staff, services and programs. Thirty-two area cities are our partners in providing the physical library building which host GRRL library services and from which our staff welcome the public. Additional essential funding is provided by local, state and federal funds such as the Library Services and Technology Act, and by contributions from individuals and organizations.
Tell Us How We’re Doing
Great River Regional Library
1300 W. St. Germain St.
St. Cloud, MN 56301
We welcome all of your comments and suggestions.