National Library Week is April 4th - 10th
April 4-10, 2021, is National Library Week, a time to highlight the essential role libraries, librarians, and library staff play in transforming lives and strengthening communities.
Celebrations during National Library Week
- Monday, April 5: State of America's Libraries Report released, including Top Ten Frequently Challenged Books of 2020.
- Stay tuned on this page for the release!
- See the top challenged books from the last ten years by clicking here.
- Tuesday, April 6: National Library Workers Day, a day for library staff, users, administrators, and Friends groups to recognize the valuable contributions made by all library workers.
- How do you show your appreciation for your local library staff? Take the time to thank them for their help and all they do for your community!
- Want to make a special acknowledgment to a library worker that has helped you? Nominate stellar library staff here.
- Wednesday, April 7: National Library Outreach Day, an opportunity for library advocates to make their support known—through thanking library staff, writing a letter or e-mail to their libraries, or voicing their support to the community leaders.
- Connect with us on social media using #LibraryOutreachDay.
- Join the celebrations by submitting a photo or video of your library outreach services in action. Have a photo of you next to your book bike or pop-up library? Submit those materials here, and you may appear on the American Library Association (ALA)'s social media or the ALA website.
- Thursday, April 8: Take Action for Libraries Day, a day to rally advocates to support libraries.
- Advocate for your library by reaching out to your personal representatives to let them know how you value library services. There are email templates and call scripts on the Minnesota Library Advocacy page to help you get started. You can find your representatives and their contact information on the Minnesota Legislative website here.
This National Library Week, you can show your appreciation and support for libraries by visiting your library’s website, following us on social media, and using the hashtag #NationalLibraryWeek.
You can also participate by printing one of these activity sheets: