January and February will see several new programs with an artistic theme, and for those looking to add fitness to their routine, we have a new Yoga Storytime class. Also, the ongoing event of 1,000 books before Kindergarten continues in 2019.
Library storytimes will also be happening Fridays in January and February from 10:30-11am. In addition, ECFE will host storytime at the library on Tuesdays in January and February. See our descriptions below to learn more about the fun programs for children, teens, adults, and families that we have planned.
- Storytimes- Have fun with stories and songs that help develop early literacy skills! For ages 0 to 6. Limit 20. Registration required. Sponsored by the Friends of the Big Lake Library. Fridays, Jan. 4,11,18,25 and Feb 1, 8, 15, 22 10:30-11am.
- ECFE Story Times @ the library- ECFE and the library are partnering to host a weekly circle time! Join us as we sing songs, do movement activities, create fun crafts, and read books. For ages 0-6 and their families. Limit 30. Tuesdays, Jan. 29 and Feb. 26 11:15 am-12 pm.
- Colorful Heart Art Class- Based on the book, “In My Heart: A Book of Feelings,” by Jo Witek. Students will make an art project based on the book’s artwork. Great for Valentine’s Day! For ages 7-12. Limit 25. Registration is required. Sponsored by the Friends of the Big Lake Library. Monday, Feb. 11 4:30-5:30pm.
- Yoga Story Time - Introducing yoga storytime! Movement enhances early learning. Get stretchy with us. We’ll sing and read, move and be still. Please wear comfortable clothing. Parents and caregivers are encouraged to participate with their children. For ages 3 to 6. Limit 20. Registration Required. Tuesday, Feb. 19 10:30-11am.
- Duct Tape Class- Duct Tape is the “go to” mending tape for most people. Originally designed for the military, duct tape has taken on a life of its own and can be used to create wallets, purses, and even clothes. Bring your imagination as we create a fun duct tape craft for you to take home. For ages 7 and up. Limit 20. Registration is required. Sponsored by the Friends of the Big Lake Library. Wednesday, Feb. 20 4:30-5: 30 pm.
- Author Brian Freeman- Join Brian for a funny and entertaining look at his 14-year career writing twist-filled psychological thrillers, including bestsellers like “Alter Ego” (set in Duluth!) and “The Night Bird.” His books may be a little scary-his wife, Marcia, says she sleeps with one eye open-but Brian swears you will be in no actual danger attending his talk. For adults and teens. A Legacy Event. Monday, Feb. 4 6:30-7:30pm.
- Great Creative Art Night- A freestyle craft event. Everyone has access to a pile of arts and crafts materials. Step outside of your art comfort zone. Create something that does not follow the law of art; make something silly and unexpected! For ages 10+. Limit 25. Registration is requested. Sponsored by the Friends of the Big Lake Library. Monday, Feb. 25 5:30-6:30pm.