Step-by-Step Guide to Downloading Audiobooks
Before You Begin
- Establish a NetLibrary account (it's free with your library card, see step 2) or Login if you are an existing NetLibrary user. After this initial setup, search and download audiobooks using your home computer Internet connection. (Downloading at a GRRL library is not available.)
- The first time you use NetLibrary, you will need to establish an account by going through GRRL's home page. From the library home page, go to "databases" (link on the left side of the home page). Enter your library card number and PIN at the prompt, and then go to the NetLibrary link about halfway down the page. You will be directed to the NetLibrary home page. At the NetLibrary home page, follow the link at the top right of the page to "create a free account." Once your account is created, you will be able to access NetLibrary without going through the Great River Regional Library site.
- Make sure you have Windows Media Player (WMP) v. 9 or higher.
- Install your Personal Audio Device (PAD) software on your computer (when you buy a PAD, it will come with software).
4. If you already have a NetLibrary account through our library, you can skip Step 1 and go straight to GRRL homepage: griver.org and Click the Downloadable Audiobooks link to log in. Then see Step 2.
Step 1: Log in to Your Account
Step 2: Find the Book You Want to Download
Click on the link "Audiobooks Center" to see featured titles or search for a title or favorite author. Once you are in the Audiobooks Center, you can scroll through the entire list by clicking on "List All Audiobooks" (in the lower right hand corner of the page). Or search on the Recorded Books website.
Step 3: Download the Book and Save it to Your Computer
- Once you locate the audiobook you're interested in, click "Download this Audiobook."
- The next screen gives two options: "Checkout and Download CD Quality" or "Checkout and Download Radio Quality." CD quality takes longer to download; it's the version you need to transfer the book to a PAD. "Radio quality" downloads more quickly and is only for listening on your PC.
- Click "Checkout and Download CD Quality."
- If you have not yet logged into NetLibrary, you will be asked to do so here. If you have not yet established an account, click "Create A Free Account" in the upper-right of the screen. You'll fill out a brief, free, one-time registration form.
- If you have a virus scanner or other protective software, a bar will appear under your web browser's "address" bar. It will say: "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options…." If you click this bar, you will get a menu. On the menu, choose "Download File."
- A window should appear asking you if you want to "open" or save" the file. If it does not appear, please click "Checkout and Download CD Quality" one more time.
- Click "save" on the pop-up window. Save the file anywhere you want and make a note of the location so you can find it later. The file name is the name of the book. We recommend saving it to your desktop so that it is easy for you to find.
- You can listen to the book on your computer or continue on and move it onto your portable audio device.
Step 4: Open the book using WMP
- When the download is complete, click "Open" on the window that appears on your screen.
- This will launch WMP* and certify the license that is attached to the audiobook.
- The book will begin playing.
- *If WMP does NOT open, please go into Windows Media Player from the Start menu on your computer. Click the "Tools" menu and choose "Options." Click the "File Types" tab and put checkmarks in the following boxes: Windows Media file (asf) and Windows Media Audio file (wma). Say "OK" and then try to re-open the downloaded audiobook.
Step 5: Plug your PAD into your computer
- Using the USB port, plug in your PAD and turn it on.
- If you have a sound card, you will hear a "ding" when it connects. If you don't have a sound card, you should see some other indication that a device has been detected by your computer.
Step 6: Put the item in your Sync List & Synchronize
- Click the "Library" tab in Windows Media Player.
- The book you just downloaded should be listed. If it is not, try this: minimize the WMP screen and locate the icon for your downloaded book on your desktop. Click once on the icon, hold it down and drag it over to WMP. When you let go of the mouse, your book will appear in the list.
- Click on it once, hold down, and drag it over to the right-hand side of the screen under the "Sync List" heading. If you don't see "Sync List," you might see "Now Playing List." If this happens, click the down pointing arrow next to "Now Playing List" and choose "Sync List" from the menu.
- Look for the small green circle with two arrows in, next to the words "Start Sync." It should be on the upper-left or bottom-right of the screen. Click the circle.
- The audiobook will be transferred to your PAD. You might see the message "downloading" on your PAD screen.
Step 7: Unplug the device from the computer and listen!
When the sync is complete, unplug the PAD from the computer. Push the power button to turn your PAD on. You can now listen to your audiobook.
Transfering an audiobook to a portable device using Windows Media Player version 9.
- Find your CD Quality downloaded audiobook file and double click it to open it with Windows Media Player. Windows Media Player opens and will obtain the license from NetLibrary to allow the audiobook file to play.
- Select Copy to CD or Device from the media player's menu options. A list of available titles will be displayed in the Items to Copy frame.
- Select the title you wish to download by clicking on the check box.
- Select a target device from the Items on Device drop-down menu. Click on the copy button to transfer the title.
- Windows Media Player will transfer the file to your portable device. When the transfer is complete, disconnect your portable device and enjoy your NetLibrary Audiobook.
(*Some MP3 players will need to use the Safely Remove Hardware icon (on the taskbar) before removing the USB cable or an error will occur.)
Removing files from your PAD:
- Plug the PAD into the computer using the USB connector and turn it on.
- Click on "My Computer."
- Locate your device and double-click on it.
- Delete any files you do not want. Say "yes" to any confirmation messages.
*GRRL is not able to provide technical support, but will explain the basics of how to sign up for service.
**Compatible devices: Library patron is responsible for choosing a compatible device. Some assistance is available at www.Netlibrary.com.