The weather outside may be frightful, but the events at your Big Lake Library are quite delightful!
Coming up this December is the annual Holiday Gingerbread Houses. This year during part of the gingerbread creation time, there will be singer and pianist Andrew Walesch presenting holiday favorites from the Great American Songbook. For those looking to improve their technical knowledge, we have an Hour of Code to explore the basics of coding and games. Don’t forget to check out the silent auction by the Friends of the Big Lake Library. Funds, raised by the Friends, go towards programs at the Big Lake Branch.
Music helps to keep away the winter blues and a second musical performance will take place thanks to Angie Hoeft playing a variety of styles. Scavenger hunts will be ongoing in the month of December. See if you can spot all of the trees. In honor of Short Story Writing Month, ShoStoWriMo, there is a short story challenge going on throughout December.
- Friends of the Big Lake Library Silent Auction Fundraiser. Help support your local library programs, while getting a few books for yourself or as presents. Through December 9th.
- Holiday Gingerbread Houses! Create your own gingerbread house. All supplies provided. For all ages. Limit 12 per 30-minute time slot. Sponsored by Friends of the Big Lake Library. Monday, December 3rd, 1:30 to 6:00 p.m. Registration Required.
- Andrew Walesch Presents Holiday Classics. Singer and pianist Andrew Walesch will present a memorable evening of holiday favorites from the Great American Songbook. Appearing on stages all over the country and on nationally syndicated programs such as Mountain Stage on NPR, Andrew is known for his signature take on American Songbook classics and the stories behind them. For all ages. A Legacy event. Monday, December 3rd, 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- Hour of Code. The library is hosting an Hour of Code event. Come explore, play games or learn about coding. Wednesday, December 5th, 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Music in the Library with Angie Hoeft. Enjoy beautiful music from accomplished guitarist Angie Hoeft while you do your browsing in the library. A variety of styles and eras make for musical enjoyment. For all ages. A Legacy event. Monday, December 17th 5:00 to 6:30 p.m.
- Holiday Scavenger Hunt. I spy…a tree! Search the library to locate the ten hidden trees. Find them all to earn a holiday sticker. Monday, December 17 to Saturday, December 22nd during open hours.
- Short Story Month Writing Challenge. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but how about 33? In honor of Short Story Writing Month, ShoStoWriMo, give us your best short story based on the historical picture on the form. Pick up and submit a form between December 1st to 31st at any GRRL location to participate. You may also submit your form online at https://griver.org/short-story-challenge.